This Moroccan inspired Chicken Lemon & Olives on Pita recipe was originally published to my account on Instagram. I have also posted it here so that you only have one place to look to fine all mezze & tapas recipes. My Instagram recipes are not accompanied by a full blown blog post. They often have comments or notes, but not a full post. Find a full list of my recipes here.
Moroccan inspired chicken lemon & olives pita. This dish may not be strictly traditional, but draws its inspiration from classic flavors that go so well together! The intent is to reflect the ingredients and flavors of an ‘authentic’ Moroccan dish, yet in a different way. A quick week night dinner. Also a nice summer lunch for a backyard party. So easy you have to try it!
Moroccan cuisine is one of my favorite cuisines of the Mediterranean. I love its complexity married to its simplicity. I love that it tastes at once familiar and yet exotic. And like the rest of the Mediterranean, I love that it relies on fresh, whole food ingredients.
All the ingredients are really “to taste” and measures just offer a guideline! This is excellent served with a roasted chickpea and carrot salad.
Moroccan inspired Chicken Lemon & Olives on Pita
- 2 TBS Extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 Cup onion finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp ground turmeric
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/2 lbs/225g chicken breast thin sliced
- 1 lemon juiced and zest peeled into 1/2”/1cm strips
- 1/4 Cup sliced green olives
- 2 TBS chopped parsley
- Sea salt and fresh ground pepper to taste
- 2 6” pita breads omit or use gluten free pitas for gluten free version
- Leaf lettuce
- Heat oil in 10″ skillet with lid over medium high heat
- Add onions and cook stirring until they begin to soften
- Add garlic and heat until fragrant
- Add turmeric and coriander and stir to combine
- Season chicken slices with salt and pepper
- Add chicken to onions and brown chicken
- When chicken is cooked, add lemon juice
- Scrape pan to release cooked on bits
- Add lemon zest strips and olives.
- Stir to combine, lower heat to a simmer, and cover
- Simmer covered about 10 minutes then remove lid
- Continue to simmer until liquid is mostly reduced out – about 5 more minutes
- Remove from heat, stir in parsley and let stand a couple of minutes
- Serve in pita with lettuce