Summer is in full swing here. Perfect time to enjoy a delicious watermelon salad – cool, refreshing, tasty and so easy to make! Enjoy your summer!
There are few things more satisfying in summer than some fresh, delicious, juicy watermelon. I remember days as a kid when my Dad would cut thick slices for my sister and I to enjoy after dinner. The coolness always seemed to be just the right touch. To this day, the first appearance of watermelon in the local produce section is always cause to get excited. I start remembering those thick slabs of watermelon of my childhood.
I don’t ever remember having watermelon salad as a kid. Perhaps it was deemed to sophisticated for me, and I never saw it. More likely, my parents just never made it. Now that I am an adult, I know how delicious a good watermelon salad it. The flavor of watermelon still takes me back to hot summer nights as a kid. But add some pickled onions, some tomatoes, and a nice ricotta salata cheese, and you are at a whole different level.
All the ingredients are really “to taste” and measures just offer a guideline! This salad goes great with roasted red pepper and halloumi wraps.
Watermelon Salad with Ricotta Salata
- 4 cups watermelon cubed
- 1 Cup grape tomatoes halved use yellow or mixed color varieties for a colorful salad
- 1/4 Cup pickled red onion chopped
- 1/4 Cup chopped fresh mint leaves
- 1/2 Cup crumbled ricotta salata or feta cheese
- 1 tbs good quality olive oil
- Sea Salt and fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 2 cups chopped lettuce or arugula/rocket
- Combine all ingredients except lettuce/arugula/rocket in a bowl and toss gently.
- Plate salad on top of a bed of lettuce/arugula/rocket
- Crumble additional cheese over the top