This beet salad is a delicious and easy way to use summer beets from the Farmer’s Market. It marries the sweet of the beets with the light sour of the pomegranate syrup and the citrus of the orange. Cool and refreshing and healthy to boot!
Beet salads are a great way to enjoy one of summer’s finest offerings. Fresh beets are high in nutrition, flavor, and versatility. They are low calorie while packing a big nutritious punch. They are high in fiber, iron and many of the other vitamins we need daily. And according to HealthLine, there are an number of other potential benefits from eating beets.
Pomegranates and pistachios are naturals together. Not only are they great in this beet salad, but they pair in a variety of meals. Take a look around the internet, and you will find tons of recipes pairing these two flavors. Originating in the flavors of the Eastern Mediterranean and Persia, they are at once exotic and familiar. And both also bring their own nutritious benefits.
The fresh beets are from @grantfamilyfarm, in West Newbury Mass. Give them a look if you are in the Boston area! And if your not sure what to do with the greens from the beets, try making a pesto!
Beet Salad with Pomegranate and Orange
- 1 bunch fresh beets peeled, cooked and cooled
- 1 TBS pomegranate syrup
- 2 tsp orange peel cut in very thin strips
- 2 tsp chopped pistachios
- Cut the beet into chunks and place in a bowl
- Add pomegranate syrup, most of the orange peel pieces and most of the pistachios (hold back some of each for garnish)
- Toss to combine
- Move to bowl or plate to serve and top with remaining orange peel and pistachios for garnish.